[FB-Discuss] struggling under 1.4.2, with Ant task

David Hovemeyer daveho at cs.umd.edu
Tue Sep 14 08:31:40 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 10:44:31AM +0100, pwomack wrote:
> I just downloaded findbugs 0.8.4, and
> successfully managed to get it to run standalone
> under j2sdk1.4.2; this was extremely simple, the only
> thing I had to find was a xercesImpl.jar, which I added to
> my CLASSPATH environment variable (actually it was the only jar
> in my CLASSPATH)
> However, I am having major problems with ant.
> In order to "do the right thing", I have
> downloaded the java_xml_pack-summer-02_01,
> and installed it as per instructions:

Are you saying the FindBugs didn't run without the package installed,
or that the application you are analyzing with FindBugs requires
this package?

FindBugs should, in general, be able to run using a plain
vanilla installation of the JDK or JRE, as long as it's
1.4.0 or later.

> I also do some other stuff to do with Ant, and JUnit.
> The problem is that the xsltc.jar in the java_xml_pack-summer-02_01
> contains an older version of bcel, and this causes a
> (somewhat cryptic!)
> java.lang.VerifyError: Cannot inherit from final class
> (which I google'd)
> http://mailman.cs.umd.edu/pipermail/findbugs-discuss/2004-August/000620.html

Yes, lots of people have run into this problem.  I've been
thinking about modifying FindBugs to produce a better error message
in this situation.

> AFAIK I *need* the java_xml_pack-summer-02_01 to supply
> various other stuff for my application.

Use -auxclasspath.  See

The libraries your application uses do not need to be on the
Java classpath when FindBugs runs.

> So, while I can synthesise a separate JVM and CLASSPATH
> to run findbugs standalone, I cannot integrate it into my main
> development proicess, which is ant-centric.

FindBugs has an Ant task: