[FB-Discuss] Use of @ThreadSafe or @Immutable on a field?

David Smiley @MITRE.org DSMILEY at mitre.org
Mon Oct 27 14:40:08 EDT 2008

I'm trying to apply some annotations to my code to let FindBugs better check
for problems (and not report non-problems).  I have a Calendar object that I
am sure is in a state that is thread-safe, given that I will not call any
mutator methods:

	public static final Calendar UTC;
        static {
		//Note: "UTC" is now the "proper" way of dealing with zulu time (was
"GMT")
		UTC = GregorianCalendar.getInstance(TimeZone.getTimeZone("UTC"));
		UTC.clear();
		UTC.getTimeInMillis();//side effect of internal initialization
	}

I'd like to be able to annotate UTC with something so that FindBugs stops
telling me about the infamous problem of Calendar's not being threadsafe.
Unfortunately, I can't annotate this field with @ThreadSafe or @Immutable
because both are for class-level annotations; not fields.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

~ David Smiley