[FB-Discuss] Mutable Key Bug

Jon Schewe jpschewe at mtu.net
Wed Aug 18 07:27:28 EDT 2010

 Actually you won't. Sam is right and I've run into this. If the key of
a HashMap is a mutable object and the object is mutated after it's used
as a key you effectively loose the value. This is because when you put
the value in it was put in a bin based on the first hashcode, say 2.
Then the key is mutated and you use that same reference to lookup the
value in the HashMap, except now the hashcode of the key is 6. Here the
HashMap looks in bin 6 and then uses equals on the list of things in
that bin to find the value. Unfortunately nothing will match because the
value is actually in bin 2. This is a real bug that would be great for
FindBugs to find, but I'm not sure how you could check for a mutable
object being a key. The hard part is determining if an object is mutable.

--
Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
If you see an attachment named signature.asc, this is my digital