[FB-Discuss] Project status

Nicolai Parlog nipa at codefx.org
Wed Nov 2 09:01:39 EDT 2016

 Hi!

Because it worked so well last time, I'll continue to play 😈's
advocate... And what Tagir and Andrey wrote pretty much confirms my
doubts.

I was a fervent user of FindBugs and even tried to contribute. From
what little I saw I can definitely say that, yes, the code is neither
easy nor pleasant to work with.

And even I got the impression that BCEL is a fickle dependency. I have
to admit that I don't exactly know how it does its job but since it's
pretty low level I would bet a decent amount of money that it doesn't
even work on Java 9. (This should be checked, though!) More questions
ensue, which the maintainers can probably answer:

* Wasn't FindBugs using a BCEL fork?
* Is it a somewhat current version?
* Could the project jump to the most current once a Java 9 compatible
version comes out?

Taken together with the problems Tagir described for Java 8, chances
are FindBugs will soon lag six years behind the JDK with the next Java
version (10, maybe specialization and/or value types) breaking even
more assumptions than the current - particularly on a bytecode level.

To me this looks like a huge amount of technical debt on the shoulders
of, err, nobody? And on top of that comes trying to revive or fork an
entire project, which takes a considerable energy of its own.

So unless a significant number of devs (e.g. those arguing for the
continuation of FindBugs) step up to the plate and commit to working a
couple of hours a week on this, the project is dead by the plain fact
that there is a _huge_ disparity between what can and what needs to be
done.

All that being said, I'm not usually Negative Nanny - it's just how I
see things in this particular instance. Forgive me. :)

 so long ... Nicolai

On 02.11.2016 11:05, Andrey Loskutov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> TL;DR: I'm really sorry to say, but FindBugs project in its current
> form is dead.
>
> Longer explanation follows.
>
> Current project setup is:
>
> 1) On the plus side, we have two committers with push rights to
> the github repo, however one from this two (Tagir) is not active
> anymore for the project and second one (me) has no free time to
> work on the project. That's however all about the good things...
>
> 2) Only the project leader Bill Pugh has admin rights for the
> project web page and the github project group and page. We cannot
> deploy any website update, we can't add new project members, we
> can't manage code access rights, we can't publish releases to the
> well known update sites without his help. Without him, we have no
> admin rights to anything, we can only push to the repository.
>
> 3) It looks like Bill Pugh is not interested in the FindBugs
> project anymore, and we can't reach them. I say "it looks like"
> because we requested his help for the project many times (via
> direct mails, postings to the list and to the github issues) but
> haven't received any sign of life from him since a year. We know
> that he is active elsewhere (https://twitter.com/wpugh). A week ago
> I've sent another mail to Bill (and CC to the
> findbugs-core at lists.sourceforge.net mailing list) asking him about
> the current project state - with no answer so far. You can read my
> mail in the attachment. IMHO no answer to this mail was the answer
> enough. Either Bill has completely lost access to his old mail
> account (which is possible too) or he is ignoring me or the
> project (which is more likely).
>
> If someone has a possibility to contact him in some way
> (twitter/mail/phone/whatever) and point him to the discussion on
> this list - please do so!
>
> Without Bill Pugh FindBugs project is headless and effectively
> *finally* dead. It is not the *only* reason for the project to be
> dead, but a bigger one, and the last one.
>
> The other major reasons for the FindBugs current bad state:
>
> 1) The code is very complex, has "organically grown" over a decade,
> is not documented and has poor public interfaces. Most of the code
> consists of the very low level bytecode related stuff, tightly
> coupled with the ancient BCEL library, which doesn't scale and is
> not multi-thread safe. No one enjoys maintaining this code, at
> least not me. I see no future for FindBugs with the BCEL approach,
> and see no way to get rid of it without investing lot of effort,
> and without breaking every detector and possibly many 3rd party
> tools. This is the biggest issue we have with FindBugs today, and
> most likely the root cause for all the evil. This code can't be
> fixed, it must be rewritten.
>
> 2) Because the code is as it is, there are not so many people
> willing to contribute. We see some pull requests on github, but
> most of them are smaller fixes or enhancements (many thanks to you
> [...]

- --

PGP Key:
    http://keys.gnupg.net/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xCA3BAD2E9CCCD509

Web:
    http://codefx.org
        a blog about software development
    https://www.sitepoint.com/java
        high-quality Java/JVM content
    http://do-foss.de
        Free and Open Source Software for the City of Dortmund

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/nipafx