Piccolo: ANNOUNCE: Piccolo v1.2

Bederson, Ben bederson at cs.umd.edu
Tue Dec 6 11:29:52 EST 2005

Dear Piccolo User Community,

I'm happy to announce the next release of Piccolo, a Java and C# toolkit
for structured 2D graphics and zoomable user interfaces.  We have now
made available:

*	The release of Piccolo.NET v1.2
*	The release of Piccolo.Java v1.2
*	Completion of our new website: www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/piccolo

In this coordinated release of Piccolo, we have brought together the
Java and C# desktop versions of the toolkit with nearly identical
features and APIs.  For this reason, we have decided to call both
versions 1.2, even though the previous release version of Piccolo.NET
was called 1.0.

We have added several new features and examples to both versions, some
of which were contributed by the user community, and fixed a few minor
bugs as well.  In Piccolo.NET, we have also finished our Direct3D
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx>  renderer,
introduced in the previous beta release.  This new extension enables
hardware acceleration and potentially significant performance
improvements.

Finally, we have further improved our website, adding basic and advanced
tutorials, applets, a 2D Graphics Primer, a developer FAQ and more.

So, play with the new features on the website, try out the new versions
of Piccolo, and, of course, let us know what you think.  And, give a big
thanks to Jesse Grosjean and Aaron Clamage who have continued to work
with me in developing and supporting Piccolo!

- Ben

Assoc. Prof. Ben Bederson
bederson at cs.umd.edu
www.cs.umd.edu/~bederson
(301) 405-2764
(301) 405-6707 (FAX)	 Director, Human-Computer Interaction Lab
Computer Science Department
3171 A.V. Williams Building
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742	   <http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil>